Soap Carving - Panda Bear














Materials: Pomegranate and Jade soap from Marshall's (first panda bear)
Lavender and Citrus soap from Marshall's (second panda bear)

Dimensions: bear one- height 2 inches, length 3 & 1/2 inches
bear two- height 1 & 1/2 inches, length 2 inches

Resources: http://foundations3ddesign.blogspot.com

What I had to do: For the soap carving project I chose a panda bear as my medium, which I knew was a medium difficulty task since they are pretty solid creatures without many nooks and crannies as some other animals had. I did not choose the easiest animal, I really like panda bears and thought it would be fun to see how it would turn out in a soap carving. I began by creating a very non-detailed outline of the bear by taking away little parts of the soap at a time. As I continued this, and a shape began to form, I started getting more detailed with the legs and head area. Once the bear took better shape, that's when the details of the ears and shoulders, and facial features came into play. I made the mistake of buying two different sized soaps, so one of my bears was significantly smaller than the other one, but in my eyes it gave the bears character and forced me to work a different way with the smaller one than with the larger one. 

What I learned: In this project I learned to take my time and not rush the carving process because soap is so easy to carve, but if you get carried away there could be a crucial part of the soap that could be cut off that might be needed later. I also learned that it helps if you buy soap that is the same size, so that when the carving comes along you have two bears, not a mama and a baby.  

Comments