Balsa Wood Project








Materials: balsa wood, and wood glue- also used was power tools to cut the wood and carve it

Dimensions: height- 3 feet, width- 1 foot

Resources: http://foundations3ddesign.blogspot.com

What I had to do: For this project I had to first come up with a design in my mind initially. Our professor calls it the "top of the funnel cloud" and she's exactly right. I originally started with a smaller design, one that would have been more of a box design, however once I began sketching out that design I realized that it was not the overall concept that I was trying to convey. Going back to the drawing board I realized that I needed to let my imagination soar farther. I wanted to achieve a more whimsical and free, yet confined and planned out object. I found that the negative space in what I created added to the overall essence of the piece. First I had to draw the bottom shape on the piece of plywood, and cut the intended design out using the wood cutting tool. Then I found the tree looking piece, and I found that I did not want to manipulate it in any way other than simply finding it a place on the half circle piece below it. 

What I learned: I learned that the original idea that an artist has, and the end result can be two very and completely different things. I learned to take my time, and to understand not to try and control the materials, but to let them take control and see what comes out of that creation. This project also taught me about utilizing the negative space to evoke a certain feeling from an object. 

Comments